Tuesday, October 4, 2011

new toys = fun

 { photo: Wes at his first birthday party }

Our little guy just had his first birthday!  And we were so blessed to receive so many great new toys!  Wes was thrilled! ...for about 2 days! Then... it happened.  He got bored! All these new toys & he could care less.  I was devastated.  So, thanks to my genus mom & sister, the toy rotation plan came to life & our boring toy problem has been SOLVED!

Toy rotation plan:

> divide toys into 3 piles = 3 week rotation (I tried to put similar kinds of toys in separate piles) *I do have a few larger toys (like his "ride on" car) that I just rotate every other week- so if it has been out, I put it away - if it's put away, the next week I pull it out
> buy 2 plastic bins (size according to your size of toy pile)
> leave one set out/put away in toy bins/baskets
> put the other 2 sets of toy piles into the plastic bins & store -- store away, but also still easy access for you to make switch time easy -- I stack mine in a closet (the bin on top is the bin that I will pull out to play with next)
> play with toys for ONE WEEK
> Sunday night when he goes to bed, I pull the old switcheroo!  (Again, I put this bin under the other one in our closet so that the bin on top will be easier to grab the next week)
> Monday morning = Mondays that can be so drab are the most exciting day ever!!!! NEW TOYS!!!!!!

...This morning... I can hardly get a bottle of milk ready without Wes flipping out because he wants it sooo badly!!  (him wanting the milk badly is every morning!) And we were walking from the kitchen into the family room where I give him his bottle... he's frantically following me UNTIL... his eye catches the magnetic farm on our fridge!  "That wasn't there yesterday!!!" He thought to himself.... You are right my genius child.  It is NEW. But old.... shhh don't tell him it's his.  I can't tell you how much he loved that farm today!  And he hasn't played with that in months! So fun!  I love our toy rotation!


{ photo : Wes playing with his new birthday toys at his party }

No comments: