Monday, June 13, 2011

month by month { 3 months }

{ 3 months : weeks 13-16 }
This was the beginning of a mental fight for me as I tried started a routine!  I wanted him to perfectly stick to this beautiful schedule that I made for him-- but he rarely did!  So, LET GO oh you control-loving-mamas! (LIKE ME!) A schedule/routine is very wise... but remember your baby is also a human being & sometimes is hungry/sleepy at different times like you & I are. It's OK. I know... I know... Shh, shhhh.  It's OK.  Just try a schedule/routine-- and STICK TO IT, because it will take time!!! They will get into a "rhythm" (may not be a perfect schedule...) 
...unless they are like me who to this day I can't remember to 1) pump before I go to bed 2) grab my retainer/night guard... I forget every night! Not just a little exaggerating! 

{ schedule } 
> Feeding: nurse every 2.5-3.5 hours (a lot of growth spurts at this age- so feed when hungry!) 5-8x a day
> Wake time:  Suggested wake time is (40-1.5 min?) (no more than 2 hours)
> Sleep: Nighttime:
 10 hrs + Daytime: 5 hrs/3 naps (or 4 or 5!) = Total: 15 hrs  And a 
6-8pm bedtime (suggested after 6 weeks old) *total hours may be closer to 12 than 15


Sample: (nursing)
(3:30) early morning feeding
7:00 am wake
10:00 am
1:00 pm
4:00 pm
7:00 pm
*(10:00 pm) dreamfeed

{ sleep } 
Sleep goals: 
from Chronicles of a Babywise Mom
1. 
You want baby to be able to fall sleep on her own in her own bed when it is time to sleep. 
2. Baby will sleep for the correct length of time for her naps. 
This means nap one is 1.5-2.5 hours (most will be 1.5-2). Nap two is the same. Nap three might be the same, or it might be 30-60 minutes. If there is a nap four, it is usually 30-60 minutes.  *The best way to work toward your secondary goal is to time waketime correctly.

But let's be honest here... Westin rarely ever napped 1-2 hours!  And he survived.  And he was happy the whole way through.  So, again, do your best... But, it may not work!!

And, I stopped swaddling.  He just wanted to be free!

{ baby stuff : I'd buy this again }

> clip on mirror: this one comes with both a suction for windows + a clip (switch it for whatever you need).  We use the clip & clip it onto his car seat bar so that *if he flew forward in an accident* the mirror is above his head & not in front of him like most car mirrors. Its so easy to adjust even once you get in the front, easy to see their sweet face & super cheap.








{ tips } 
> napsFor a 3 and 4 month old, it's not suggested to let your baby cry it out mid-nap (not till 6 months)-especially if they are just learning to sleep on their own. WAIT 10-15 minutes & see if they will fall back asleep before you go in & try to help soothe.  
> "sleep through the night" - you will read this phrase 5 million times & it will haunt you... But, "sleep through the night" at the age generally means a stretch of 5-6 hours.  So don't think that it means ALL night :)
> dreamfeedThe dreamfeed is typically between 10-11 PM.  A feeding after 11:30 PM is not a dreamfeed; that is a night feeding. Time your dreamfeed 2.5-4 hours after the final feeding of the day. You want baby to be hungry enough to take a good feeding at the dreamfeed. However, you don't want it so late that it disrupts nighttime sleep. Disruption to nighttime sleep will cause baby to wake earlier in the morning.

No comments: