Sunday, February 22, 2009

change.

I've been trying to figure this out-- Why don't we like change?  Some of us are ok with it more than others... some, not at all!  But either way, its pretty normal to not like or handle change well.  The funny thing is, its inevitable.  Everything & everyone changes.  Guaranteed.  

So, why?  I think its because we like control & comfort.  We want to be in control of our life & everyone in it & everything about it.  Basically, we want to be god of our life.  We don't like when our perfect world gets messed up & things that we are comfortable with are moved around & now you have to figure things out again.  This is what I'm thinking right now... if you have thoughts about why we don't like change, please share them with me!

What do we do?  If change is hard but inevitable, don't we want to know what to do about it?  I don't think it has to be hard forever.

Congrats, step 1 is complete!  
1.  Live in reality-life is always changing.  Don't hide from change & pretend like its not there or won't happen.  We need to live in reality-- to know change will happen.  Its ok.  

2.  If everything is always changing, we need a constant.  Something that will always be the same, that we can always go to no matter what.  Well, that something is a someone, Jesus Christ.  He is the only One who will never change & always be there, no matter what.  Even you will change.  Even your spouse & your kids... your home... your job... your hopes & dreams... what you like & dislike... but not Jesus.  He is the same yesterday & today & forever.  Jesus must be our constant in our ever-changing life.  We can't control the daily challenges that come our way.

3. make a plan.  If we want Jesus to be our constant, we need to make a plan for that to happen.  Its probably not going to be a one & done decision.  If you are used to relying on yourself & trying to control your life, its not going to be easy to give that all up to Jesus right away.  And thats ok!  Jesus knows where you are at, He doesn't expect you to be somewhere else in the process.  He accepts us just as we are--needy & messy.  But if we want to walk with God for a lifetime, we must plan to walk with God today.  

Today we need to embrace reality.
Today we must make Jesus our constant.
Today we need to give up control to Him- the only one that has control.
Today we need to be willing to be uncomfortable.
Today we must spend time with Jesus- get to know Him.
Today we need to make a plan to allow us to walk with God for a lifetime.

...what are you doing today to help make Jesus your constant?


["view of your life" -Amy Seiffert]

1 comment:

karen said...

Late Sunday afternoon, I found myself reflecting on the weekend and admitting my frustration. I had been planning and looking forward to a few things last weekend for quite some time, only to find that nearly all of my entire planned weekend had changed, and the changes had nothing to do with me.

I wasn't frustrated because I wasn't the one controlling it, because I GET the reality that God is sovereign over my life, my activities, my weekend plans (and truly, I am happy about that reality!). The thing that most disappointed me was that I was eagerly looking forward to all these things so much that when they suddenly changed, I felt deflated and saddened that all the things I had envisioned were not going to come true. Ever.

Eternal life is the only thing that we can look forward to, with hope and assurance, with enthusiasm--and know by faith that it IS coming and no, it will not be changed. You are so right.

Hebrews 6 describes our hope as an anchor, firm and secure.

It does make me a bit confused though - does God want me to never look forward to things? That doesn't seem quite right. I'm sure he just wants me to abound in the hope of my salvation...