Main Entry: abide
Pronunciation: \e-bid\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): abode or abide-ed; abide-ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English abidan, from a-, perfective prefix + bidan to bide; akin to Old High German ir-, perfective prefix--more at BIDE
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1: to wait for: await
2 a: to endure without yielding: withstand b: to bear patiently: tolerate
3: to accept without objection
intransitive verb
1: to remain stable or fixed in a state
2: to continue in a place: sojourn
synonyms see bear, continue
Jesus said, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15: 4-5
A wise woman also said, abide is compelling to choose-- choose Jesus, wait patiently for Him. Without Him, we can do nothing. He is our source of life, our roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment