"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory." Colossians 3:1-4
How do I set my mind... my heart on things that are above? It sure does seem like I talk about choices a lot. But it seems to be true. I think this is a choice too. To choose to set my mind on things that are above.
Like this...
Imagine you were me right now. Sitting in your favorite chair. The sun is shinning in the far window across the room, just barely touching me-- but just enough to make me feel warm & cozy. I pause to think & take a sip of a hot cup of coffee. To stop & read a few words from the Bible. The birds are chirping outside. It's a nice, slow morning.... I don't want it to stop, but I know I need to run off in a few to start my busy day. So I enjoy my last few moments here, thinking about God's Word.
So, how did it go??
Could you imagine yourself in that situation?? Did you "set your mind" on what I wanted you to? ...probably. It's actually not too terribly difficult. But, it is a choice.
The book of Colossians continues on... it says "And whatever you do, in word & deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:17
It's hard to do this. It's hard to be thankful no matter what. But that's why we need to set our minds on things that are above. If we are focused on Jesus, our perspective changes, we realize it is all about Him & not about us.
Lord, help me to set my mind on things that are above. To seek You. Help me to make that choice, every day, every minute. Help me to choose to thank you no matter what-- in all situations, whatever I'm doing... Because its about You. Its about what You have done & are doing. You are my life. Thank You.
2 comments:
Love it. Makes me think of a verse I recently read in 1 Peter 1. I was trying to explain to somehow how, in a sense, we really do have to make conscience decisions to help ourselves live holy lives.
Therefore, PREPARE YOUR MINDS FOR ACTION; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 peter 13-16
(emphasis added)
thanks for sharing friend. p.s. I have the same curtains in my living room.
Post a Comment