Thursday, March 5, 2009

"O Lord, how long?"

I often ask this question.  I wish I didn't, but it's true.

Last night we got home from a long day at the University of Dayton, and our house was about 55 degrees.  By the time we woke up, the temperature had dropped even more (it is so low it doesn't show up on the thermastat!).  So I ask, "O Lord, how long?" How long must we stay in this house?!  How long do we have to wait before we hear back from the offer we put on that nice, beautiful...warm house that won't run out of oil!  How long till it's warm outside & we won't have to worry about how our house has horrible insulation.  How long till I can live in a city, where my heart is--not in small town Oxford?  How long till all my questions are answered?  Till my worries fade away? How long till this all makes sense?

This is the same question Habakkuk asked God.  Habakkuk wasn't very patient with God.  He was frustrated, anxious, he felt like God wasn't answering him when he called out to Him.  

But, Habakkuk took his complaints & questions directly to God.  And God responded.  

God is always working in our lives.  Reality is, God is outside of time!  He doesn't live by our understanding of time.  God rules over every situation in our lives.  God is mysterious.  We'll never be able to figure everything out.  We'll probably always have more questions than answers.  

That's why God calls us to live by faith- not by sight, or by reason, by what we understand.  But to choose to go to the One who does have all the answers.  The One who is enough.  Let the mysteries of God be enough.  I may not know the answers, but what I do know is enough for me to trust in the Lord.  God gives us a peace that surpasses all understanding.  That means we'll be able to trust God & what He is doing when it doesn't make any sense to us-- when we can't see what's going on.  

When our world seems to be falling apart, and it seems like God is silent to our cries for help... we must go to Him & trust that He is moving.  He hasn't forgotten us.  He says "look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded.  For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told" Habakkuk 1:5.  --we probably wouldn't believe what God really is doing in our lives even if we did know exactly what's going on.  Because He is that majestic, that amazing.  His plans are far better than ours.

So when our eyes and our reason tells us that everything has gone wrong... well, maybe thats true.  But we can still choose to rejoice in the Lord, to take joy in the God of our salvation.  To go to the Lord as our strength.  That's what we are to do, despite whatever is going on in life [Habakkuk 3:17-19]  

I want to move mountains.  I want to be on high places. But I can't do it on my own strength-- I fail.  But when I rely on the Lord's strength, He enables me to go on the heights- to stand on the mountains.  
That's where I want to be.  

With the Lord's strength, that can be true of me today.  I will choose to wait patiently for the Lord.  To see where He takes me, high upon the mountain tops.  

To choose to live by faith.

No comments: